The Importance of Dental Insurance
If you’re wondering whether or not you need dental insurance, the first thing you should know is that medical insurance doesn’t cover most dental services. You can develop oral or dental issues at any time, either from not taking care of your teeth or as a result of an illness or accident.
Dental insurance provides you with coverage that can save you money and help ensure a healthy mouth. You’ll pay rates that dentists have agreed to accept for providing services to Florida Blue members. So whether you have coverage through your job or you purchase a plan on your own, dental insurance should be part of your financial planning.
A plan for healthy teeth
Here are some reasons why dental insurance is a good idea:
- Preventive benefits ensure that problems are found early. Regular dental exams and cleanings are critical to identify issues before they require major, costly procedures. If tooth decay goes unnoticed and untreated, you could be spending a lot of money for a root canal down the road. Most dental plans cover preventive visits at little or no additional cost.
- You’re protected from financial risk. Even with proper preventive care, sometimes major dental health issues arise. You have insurance against risk for your health, your car, and your home — don’t forget about your mouth.
- The best rates possible are available to plan members. Dentists who belong to Florida Blue’s network have a contract with us to provide you with services at a set fee. That means your out-of-pocket cost is less than if you were to walk in for treatment.
- Dental health can affect your overall health. Researchers continue to identify links between oral and overall health. Problems of the mouth can lead to harmful levels of bacteria that worsen medical conditions such as diabetes and heart disease if it enters the bloodstream.
Where can I buy dental insurance?
Many insurance companies offer dental coverage either through employers or on an individual basis. Some insurance companies offer only dental plans while others also offer health insurance. Given the connection between dental health and overall health, choosing a company that offers both is your best option.
The benefits of dental coverage through Florida Blue
We offer a choice of affordable plans with benefits for you and your family:
- You have the option of choosing from a large network of high-quality dentists in Florida with access to a national network when you are traveling out of state.
- Our plans offer good value. If you don’t use all your benefit dollars in a year, Maximum Rollover lets you keep that money for the following year. This gives you added security for the unexpected and can help you plan for major services. And, our plans include cosmetic and orthodontic discounts.
- Keeping your mouth healthy can have a big impact on your overall health, so our dental plans are integrated with our health plans. Florida Blue’s Oral Health for Overall Health program provides additional dental benefits – covered at 100%! – to members with certain medical conditions that can be improved with better dental health.
- Industry-leading customer service is provided through responsive phone support and convenient, walk-in service at Florida Blue centers around the state.
- You will have online access to your dental benefits around the clock.
Shop for a dental plan with Florida Blue.